Thursday, April 03, 2008

Think Outside the Box

Well, now that the crisis has been averted and Clayton seems to already be doing better, I'll do my obligatory complaint post. I'm just totally irked that the pulmonologists were content to send Clayton home and told me to "keep doing what you're doing." It's like since nothing was wrong with his lungs, they were done with him. Something was obviously wrong with him, and what I was doing was obviously not helping, so why in the world would a doctor be content with that? The ER doctors were the same way. They just wanted to put the blame on Clayton's sleep and wanted Dr. Lyle to take care of the problem. I'm all for Dr. Lyle taking care of the problem, but why would you want to send a child home that was obviously in some kind of distress? And when I asked for prescriptions, the resident said they don't like to write prescriptions in the ER because they can't follow up on them. YOU CANNOT TELL ME that they don't ever write prescriptions in the ER! You know they do! Clayton is so far past those residents that they don't even want to touch trying to diagnose him. It's the same old thing we've dealt with for the last couple of years. The doctors/nurses/underlings are taught to think a certain way. And that way works fine for "normal" kids. But Clayton DOES NOT fit into the mold. He has to be looked at differently, and what affects most people one way affects him totally differently. Including a cold/allergy problem. He has always had trouble with colds simply because his upper airway gets congested easily and keeps oxygen from getting to his lungs. And if his lungs are clear and healthy, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that maybe his upper airway is the problem! Just because other kids aren't like this doesn't mean he isn't! So thank goodness for the Medical Home Clinic and Dr. Rob Lyle! They are completely dedicated to making a difference for these kids that have multiple problems. I'm so glad I have them to depend on--they never act bothered by my endless calls and they are just as anxious to get Clayton well as I am.


Dr. Lyle has become my go-to guy on just about everything (poor guy!). He has been there since the beginning, was there for both Clayton and Shawn. He doesn't mind listening to me and Brian ramble about our theories and takes our opinions to heart. Nice change from most of the medical staff we deal with!! He was totally ready to GET CLAYTON WELL yesterday. Started prescribing stuff and even called today to check on him. So THANK YOU, Dr. Lyle if you are reading this. I brag on you to everyone and I only hope the hosptial knows what kind of treasure they have in the dedicated doctor you are. Thank you for being willing to think outside the box when it comes to Clayton and all the other kids in "medical homes!"

2 comments:

Patti H said...

It sure helps that you have a dr. you can put your trust in Ashley. Glad to hear Clayton is on the road to recovery.

Leslie said...

I'm sorry you had to be worried about Clayton. I'm happy that he's doing better day by day. It's wonderful to have a doc that you can count on all the way too. God Bless!