Thursday, August 28, 2008

Love Remembers

(This is a photo of me by Shawn's bed during his first week of life--he's so tiny you can barely see him!) I usually feel guilty after a post like this. Anytime I bring up Shawn's death and how I still hurt and grieve after so much time, I wonder who's out there saying "GET OVER IT." "MOVE ON." "COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS!" But then I got a card this month from the Central Arkansas Chapter of the Bereaved Parents of the USA and it had this poem in it:

Memories
When you need to . . .
Reach deep inside and take one of your precious memories.
Wipe away the cobwebs, lay it out in front of you.
And let the sunshine and the sounds engulf you.
Revel in then experience of it.
Relive each precious moment, be overwhelmed by them,
And taste the wonderful sweet tears that are their gift.
When your needs have been almost satisfied
Pause for one more second.
Then gently fold it back up, give it a big hug and a tender kiss,
And return it to where you found it.
Then to make the experience complete,
Find someone special and share the feelings with them.
For surely something as wonderful as this is meant to be shared!
Don't be afraid of using them--that's what memories are for.
You will never lose them.
For as certain as the sun will rise tomorrow,
Love once attained is never lost.
~Steve Channing
And after reading that I realized I need not feel guilty for reliving the memories--he did live after all, and I should go on celebrating the gift of his life no matter the time that has passed. And pouring my energy into a scrapbook page is definitely my way of not only coping, but honoring Shawn's life in my own special way. So from these thoughts "Love Remembers" was born:
Dearest Shawn,
I’m writing this just minutes after the anniversary of your death. Somedays it seems just like yesterday, amazing how my mind can keep some memories so fresh. Every August is a month of anniversaries and memories for me, and I can’t help but relive them in your honor each year. I’m determined to keep your memory alive no matter how short your little life was. Some details that are fuzzy, but I do the best I can with what my mind remembers.

You were determined to be born that morning—it didn’t matter to you that it was too early! So at 1:42 am on August 10, 2003, you came into our world. You were whisked off to another room so fast that we had to be told you actually cried out loud before you were intubated. Man, what I would give to hear that cry now! I barely remember getting to see you while I recovered from surgery. I know I got to touch you, but it upsets me that I can’t remember that first touch. I do remember how excited your Pop was when Daddy told him your names. With pride he said, “that sounds a lot like John Phillip.” I was so glad he liked it. The next few days were a blur, but in general I remember you doing much better than your brother. It was during these first few hours that I realized how different you can love your children, but still love them the same. You were the oldest and I saw you as the strong, silent type. Just biding your time and spending each day getting better and stronger. Of course Clayton being the youngest, he kept us on our toes constantly—craving attention from day one! All the while, you calmly fought your battles—never having any major troubles. I do remember that the doctors talked about 72 hours being a magical number—your first milestone reached if you could make it that long. So EARLY Wednesday morning, Daddy and I left my hospital room to go be with you to celebrate in the NICU. We began to bond with you both that quiet night. That whole first week was spent watching your ventilator settings and keeping up with Clayton’s issues. And that first weekend was spent juggling the task of visiting you both at different hospitals since Clayton had been moved. We were so relieved when you moved to ACH on the 18th. You even got a bed right next to Clayton’s! Again, the second week proved to be a battleground for Clayton, while you made improvements each day. I was overjoyed when you started “drinking” my breast milk 1 cc at a time—I was finally a part of your care!!! And it was so neat to watch your little mouth do the sucking motion on the ventilator tube—you were definitely ready to eat!! Another big memory of that week is how you literally tried to crawl out of the bed a couple of times. One doctor told us he had never seen another 24-weeker just days old and still so agile. We were beaming because we just knew you were advanced!!! We were starting to settle into a routine, learning the ropes of life in the NICU. We visited you and Clayton on the night of the 25th and it ended up being a very special time. It was just us, our little family (and all the NICU babies and staff). It was quiet that night in the nursery and we were able to bond as best we could with you both. We loved your strawberry blonde hair and how you responded to our touch. But YOU made our night when you opened your right eye to peek at us! We were ECSTATIC! It’s like we could finally see into your little world! I thank the Lord for that night. It was as if you were sending us a sign of some sort, a sign that you were going to be okay. We had no clue that it would come in the form of us having to say goodbye though. And even though you aren’t here today, you are still with us in spirit—a vital part of our beings. I love you so much, Shawn! And as long as I’m living, I will always remember . . . Love, Momma 8/28/08
And now, for this day at least, my "experience" is complete . . .

15 comments:

Lee-Ellen said...

that made me bawl ashley! the layout and your writing are absolutely beautiful! what a lucky little boy to have a momma like you!

Nic said...

Still in my prayers.....

photographer said...

such sweet memories. hold tight to them. my heart is with you today.

Mrs Pretzel said...

That was beautiful. I don't think you should EVER be ashamed to have loved so deeply... no matter how short a life was lived. Love doesn't stop when a person dies. Not even a little person.

Patti H said...

Oh Ashley! YOur baby boys are so lucky to have such a special Mom and Dad that loves them equally! Hugs to you Ashley!!

Amy said...

You're an amazing mommy, Ashley. And I'm so glad God sent that poem your way since it comforted you so.

Cheri Pryor said...

Soooo tender and beautiful and raw and honest. God bless your little family, Ashley. You've been through so much...never be ashamed of bringing Shawn in to your thoughts or conversations. He is still very much a part of your life and always will be.

Beautiful!

Stacy said...

If I could reach out somehow right now and just wrap my arms around you I would. Don't EVER let anyone make you feel like you need to "get over it". Shawn is your son, your flesh, blood and your heart. He always will be no matter how much time has passed. You were given an angel who taught you just how much you could love.

You my friend are one of the strongest women I know. You may not feel like it as you deal daily with your struggles but Ashley...you have survived this far. More than a lot of people I know could ever dream of doing.

Love you!!

Cassandra said...

Ashley, I wish you knew just how powerful and wonderful you are as a mother and a person. I am proud that you can both celebrate and grieve his death with the emotional intelligence and perspective it takes "loss therapists" lifetimes to understand. I used to think your gift to the world was your singing, now I think it just might be your perspective. I am so glad that you can put this emotion into words and share it with others who need to hear these things. The guy that wrote the bereavement poem seems to also have that gift...

Staci Compher said...

....I completely understand the feeling....of thinking other people are thinking that you should get over it...by now..I sometimes feel that way with ed...and that poem was just beautiful....and then your journaling....yep...so touching.....and the title love remembers.....shewww...that's so true.

Anonymous said...

wishing you peace!

gab423 said...

Ashley...Your writing is so beautiful, so touching, so real. Thank you for sharing this. {{{hugs}}}

Leslie said...

that is so beautiful. I'm glad that you did this for yourself. Always keep your memories close and fresh.

Jennifer Sizemore said...

wow. wow. wow. Words are not enough here. You are an amazing mother.

Anonymous said...

Your word and layout are so beatiful Ashley. :hug: