Monday, January 10, 2011

Pray Early, Pray Often, Pray With Others

Early last week, when I realized Jackson was sick for real, I started whispering short prayers.  Lord, please let it skip Clayton.  Lord, please protect Clayton.  Lord, just get rid of this bug already!  But they were just silent, personal prayers, and I didn't voice any concerns to the prayer warriors in our lives.  After all, it was just a little stomach bug.  But how easily I forget that a stomach bug just isn't a stomach bug for Clayton.  Any typical childhood illness always throws him for a loop.  (Evidence:  the last stomach virus he had landed us in the E.R. since after a couple of weeks he still couldn't take his normal feeding schedule). 

At any rate, when I discovered Clayton was running fever late Thursday evening, I tried not to panic.  Just a temp of 99 usually has him almost comatose.  It's so hard to watch Clayton with just a little fever!  He just doesn't have any reserves to fall back on, and his little body just gives out so fast.  Thankfully, with the increase in seizure medicine, he didn't act near as out of it as he usually does.  But I didn't want to take any chances.  I immediately texted Brian who was in a meeting at church.  I told him that although things were technically fine, the prayer warriors needed to start praying that any complications would be warded off.  The group at church prayed for Clayton.  Other friends prayed.  And I prayed.  And you know what?  Besides a rough Friday and Saturday evening (his normal amounts of food were just too much for him to handle), he only ran fever that one time!  Thank you, Lord!

I've told the people in our church that I hope they don't get tired of me always asking for prayer for Clayton.  They always assure me it's a privilege.  I don't want to be thought of as an alarmist, but darn it, it works!  I think God honored that act of faith Thursday night.  I knew there was a great gathering of praying people, so I just took it and ran with it--why not ask them to petition for Clayton?  And the earlier we get started, the earlier we might see the results!

1 comment:

Patti H said...

way to go Mom! never be afraid to ask for prayers for our man Clayton!! I can't imagine anyone would think you ask for too many. Clayton has touched so many peoples lives. We all love our little man!!