Monday, January 14, 2008

A Tribute

I had to say goodbye to an old friend this weekend.

My parents got Maggie when I was in college and I really didn't live with her for that many years, but she was definitely a part of my life, and a part of my parents' home. She had been struggling for a long time with her hip problems, so it was definitely time to ease her pain. I'm thinking these pictures were taken in 1997 or 1998--not really sure, but it was in the prime of her life. Maggie was a typical lab--only satisfied if she was touching someone. Always needing some more lovin'! My favorite memory will always be how Brian described her as "emotional." As soon as you walked in my parents' door, she would cry and wag her tail like she hadn't seen you in years! Definitely another lab trait I'm thinking. One of the best things about Maggie was you didn't have to worry about anyone or any animal hurting you if she was around. She could love, but she could be fierce if need be. Her bark and growl would scare even the bravest attacker, be it man or beast! And most recently, I think of Clayton and Maggie. She never really paid him any mind, and in his lifetime she'd basically be content to lay around and sleep. But Clayton would rather talk about her over our own dog who pesters him more than Maggie ever has! It's interesting that he's always mentioning Maggie in any conversation.
So goodbye, Maggie. We will miss your companionship and your protection. And more HUGE ((((((HUGS)))))))) to my parents who are definitely feeling the loss.

6 comments:

Noel said...

awww....what a sweet dog! So sorry she is gone, sounds like she was very special. HUGS!

Lori Petticrew said...

hugs to you all. i know how hard it is to lose a family friend

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Sorry for your loss, Ashley. Glad you had many great years together!

Nancyroo said...

that's sad. Hugs!

Kelli said...

oh girl hugs to your parents...and you. that's so hard.

Stacey said...

Ash...I'm a little behind (obviously!) but I so feel your pain at the loss of a dear family friend. God bless you and your parents who are definitely feeling it!