Thursday, September 20, 2012

NILMDTS

I mentioned last year that one of my goals as photographer was to eventually give back to my community by serving as a photographer for Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep.  This goal is still never far from my mind.  I still have a few technical things to become proficient at (such a high stress situation will demand me knowing my equipment inside and out), and I've got to prepare myself emotionally for actually putting my name out there as a volunteer.  Time will bring these things, but in the meantime, I continue to sing the praises of this wonderful organization.  The gift these photographers give to parents is absolutely priceless.  In some instances, a literal "lifetime" of images is given to the grieving parents of these children.  

When I saw this video, I knew I had to share--I want to keep telling the world how important it is (not disrespectful or shameful) to photograph these little ones who will never have those regular milestone moments photographed as they grow up.  My photos of Shawn (even if they are just snapshots) are precious to me--proof that he lived and breathed and touched those around him.  

The last family featured in this tribute is the family of Teegan.  Her mom had just signed on as a photographer for NILMDTS and would have never guessed that her first session for them would be her own baby.  


~There is only one beautiful child in the world, and every parent has it~

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I think you are amazing Ashley. Not many people who have lost a child of their own would be brave and selfless enough to volunteer. Love you my dear friend. HUGS