Thursday, August 26, 2010

Good Reads

Before the boys were born, I was an avid reader.  In fact, I even had a layout published about the topic way back when I actually had time to scrapbook!  I had kind of given up on the hobby until last year when I read a couple of things here and there after I rediscovered the library.  So I decided several months ago that I was going to make time for reading, even if it meant staying up late to do it.  And even though I don't plow through them fast like the old days, I've enjoyed doing this little something for myself each day.  I thought I would share a few of my favorites from this summer.  Most of these are old news to anyone who reads on a regular basis, but for those who don't, they are great stories to cut your teeth on!
Loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  I wanted to be right there in the middle of the characters when they gathered together.  The story is told in letters between the characters and the style was so refreshing.  Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet deals with the Japanese internment period and is one of those that makes you think about topics our generation rarely has to consider.
I saw Same Kind of Different as Me at the bookstore and bought it on a whim--the title really grabbed my attention.  (It actually made me think of Clayton and how we are all different in our own way, some differences are just more visible than others).  It's a beautiful true story of a relationship between two men (how often do you read something along that line?!).  It's also a tearjerker, so have a kleenex handy!
I've read a couple of homeschooling books lately, but by far the one I've enjoyed the most is I Saw the Angel in the Marble.  It's a compilation of essays written over the years by authors Chris and Ellyn Davis.  It's a good one to read if you've just begun homeschooling or need a reminder/refresher on why you chose this "ancient path" in the first place. 
Like I said, these are pretty popular titles that most "readers" have probably already read, but I just had to put a plug in for them since I enjoyed all of them so much!

2 comments:

Patti H said...

good for you for finding some time to read. Now you just have to find some time to scrapbook LOL Yeah right eh?

Leslie said...

I loved THE SAME KIND OF DIFFERENT AS ME! I totally recommended that to many friends!