Thursday, September 17, 2009

Best Laid Plans

So the last few days have seemed a bit hairy . . . It actually all started over the weekend when Clayton started getting a stuffy nose. His eyes were red and had a very slight rash on them by Sunday. He had a few slight desats during those nights and by Monday night, he needed oxygen. Full blown 1 LPM oxygen. :( Not really knowing what was up, I cancelled his therapy for Tuesday, but I still had to get my car to the Honda place for an oil change since They Only Take Appointments and you can't just Drop In for Service. Ugh. So I loaded up both boys, listened to Jackson scream the entire way there (have I told you he hates riding in the car?), get to the service department, only to realize that the tank holder for Clayton's chair isn't on the chair anymore since we didn't think we'd be needing it anymore. So I can't even get us all out of the car without one of the guys from the place helping us in with all of our stuff! We were there for over an hour, finally loaded up for the screaming ride back home. Clayton and I ate lunch and I tried to pick up the messes we had left from that morning. And then it was off to ACH for Clayton's two appointments. Oh, and by this time I had also realized that Brian had Clayton's bag in his truck. Good thing he was in LR as well because we don't go anywhere without the button supplies . . . so he met me at the hospital to fix the chair and help with the boys since it was also pouring rain. Clayton and I were lucky that Jackson fell asleep about halfway there . . . We go in to his first appointment, Clayton gets a new button (a new size that we're not sure he really needed), and then we're off to the next. By this time Jackson's good and hungry and screaming his head off for food. I had some BM, but it was frozen and of course this is the one clinic that you don't have to wait, so while I was fixing the bottle, they called us back. We finally got Jackson fed and had a good meeting with the doc. And then it was back home--Clayton rode with Daddy and Mommy got to listen to Jackson scream the. entire. way. home. Man, that child DOESN'T GIVE UP! Luckily, the rest of the night was easy-breezy, except for that darn O2 cord and extremely loud O2 concentrator. I can't believe we lived with those things for so long! They are so annoying now when they come out of hiding!
Fast forward to Wednesday: I let Clayton sleep in since I still wasn't sure if he was actually getting sick or just dealing with allergies. Decided we could do school after therapy since we would be cooking something for our lesson (Family, don't laugh). Of course, it's still pouring rain today and the wheelchair was only halfway fixed, so Brian had to meet us at the clinic in the rain to get it fixed right this time. Meanwhile, Jackson is just as upset about riding in the car as he was yesterday, so once again, it takes the whole fam to get Clayton into the clinic. Clayton of course gets upset because Daddy's leaving him so we have to just turn and run so we don't give in to that sad little face. Jackson screams the whole way home. And the whole way back to pick Clayton up. We get home, I feed Jackson, and then Clayton and I read our book for the week (he's loving it, by the way) and then I get him in his stander so he can help me cook. We are reading "Caps For Sale" so we all had our hats on--Momma, Clayton and Jackson. We're all ready to cook and then as soon as Clayton's in the stander, he starts complaining about his button hurting. And sure enough, it's leaking big time. So I get him out of the stander, and take the button out, only to irritate the skin and cause bleeding. Put it back in and then call the nurse. Leave a message and then sit and wonder if we should move on with cooking. Jackson's starting to fuss. While I'm deciding what to do and waiting for the nurse to call back, I fold clothes which puts Clayton in a huge funk. He whines the whole time and Jackson starts piping up as well. I finally decided we'd cook and get Clayton back in his stander. That's when the nurse calls back. The whole time I'm talking to her, both boys are SCREAMING. It was fun, let me tell you. She even started laughing because we couldn't hear each other. We finally decided there was no emergency and hung up. FINALLY started cooking with Clayton and of course since I am not a cook, we make a huge mess and about that time the doorbell rings. O2 Delivery Guy. Then Brian walks in and walks out to look at the tanks. Clayton immediately tunes up AGAIN. Our exciting, fun-filled afternoon making "Monkey Bars" just wasn't happening! By then, nobody is wearing their "caps" and we're just finishing the recipe so we can finish, not because it's fun anymore . . . when the monkey bars finally came out of the oven, Brian and I tasted them only to decide they weren't good enough for anyone else to eat (pretty much the norm for something I cook!). All that blood, sweat, and tears for something we didn't even like the tastes of!!!
Surely today will be a better day!!!


The Whites said...

Bless your heart! :)

Erin said...

Wow! What a crazy couple of days! So glad you can see the humor in it. :)

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

Oh my! Just reading that post makes me want to take a nap!

Patti H said...

wow your patience must be getting longer and longer. Hope Clayton is feeling better Ashley! LOL about you cooking