Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Photo Shoot With Jackson

So I'm taking a photography course.  We have assignments, and up until last week, I had managed to complete them without involving Jackson and Clayton, who are less than willing models.  But since our assignment last week was all about the ins and outs of photographing an actual person, I was forced to try to rope one of them in.  I wasn't that successful.
I picked Jackson as my target since he will actually look at me once in a while (when Clayton sees my camera, he immediately starts ignoring me).  I tried to capture him in the morning, and after literally soaking my shirt with sweat, I gave up.  That afternoon, I was bound and determined to get my homework accomplished--this had me begging, pleading, and practically doing gymnastics to get a decent "portrait" (term used very loosely in this instance).  It finally dawned on me that I could use the swing to keep him in one spot, so in he went.  I immediately got the "in your face" pose.
 Then the "look away" that Clayton has taught him well.
And then the always popular "maybe if I ignore her she'll go away" pose.  
At the time, I was more than perturbed with the little guy.   However, in hindsight, I'm glad I did  capture photos that reflect his personality, even if they aren't posed completely perfect.   I do look forward to the day, though, when he actually looks at my camera with a big grin instead of running past me saying "CHEESE!!"

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I had a friend tell me once that she didn't like the photographer I worked for's work because the people in his photos weren't ever smiling. My question to her was, "Are you always smiling?" My favorite photos of my kids are when they are acting the exact way that they always are, for Munchkin, that's extremely serious. And for Bees, well that's often completely silly! LOL

oh and after that long explanation, I love these photos of Jackson, captured on a warm sunny day. Perfectly seen through your lens :)

Christy B said...

I love these pictures! I like the pictures were sometimes the subject isn't smiling. It's so natural!

The lighting is beautiful though. They are great pictures.

What camera and lens are you using? I'm shopping for a new DSLR, so I'm curious!

I follow your blog, but don't think I've every commented. Happy Belated Anniversary!

Patti H said...

can that kid get any cuter? I think your shots are absolutely beautiful. I like the shots of real life and not posed ones.

Lesle Alvarado said...

I love the shot with the dragonfly!