Monday, December 13, 2010

Back to the Manger

Yesterday was the kids' Christmas program at church. We always look forward to this time of year because Clayton loves the music so much. Not that he actually sings when he gets on stage. There are way too many other interesting things to watch and singing usually takes a back seat to watching the audience.


We went to practice on Saturday and as usual, Clayton was all for being on stage.  I wondered how Jackson would do.  I didn't worry too much because he is up on the stage when I practice all the time, so it's not like it was new territory for him.  And even though the little kids were last to practice, tired, and hungry, he jumped up there like a trooper and felt right at home while most of the other kids screamed and cried.  I thought I had another natural born performer on my hands.  

Fast forward to Sunday morning and all was well.

He marched up the steps with his star (that was his only job:  HOLD THE STAR).

He found his spot.

And then he found me.

In the audience.

Way too far from him.
  
He was not a happy camper!!  I just laughed and waved (I was on the front row and plenty close in my opinion!).  I don't think he liked the fact that I just kept on snapping pictures and didn't make one move for him.  I knew he was a big boy and could handle it, I just hoped it didn't take long for him to realize it.  He finally got some sympathy from my friend Holly who stayed with him for the rest of the time.  He even held on to his star for a little bit.
 But then he said "to heck with the star, what are all those people doing out there?!"
Next up was Clayton's group.  The theme of the show was time travel and Clayton's class dressed up as if they were in the '50s.  We slicked back his hair and put on the shades . . .
The second grade boys were supposed to be singing around this microphone but Clayton laughed and waved at people, another boy made faces at the audience the whole time, and the other two just stood there.  So much for a "doo-wap" ensemble!
After it was all said and done, every class got their chance to take a bow and Clayton looked glad to have one more chance in front of the audience.   
I know I look like a goof out in the audience at these things.  I mean, it's just a little ole' Christmas pageant.  But I literally smile THE. WHOLE. TIME.  My cheeks hurt afterwards because I've had a permanent grin on my face!  BEAMING with pride, as they say! 


1 comment:

Patti H said...

awwwww so sweet. Love the Jackson photos and Clayton looked like a cool greased up Fonz!! I too love going to the boys Christmas concert at the school. This year is the first year for Ben that will be very interesting LOL