Thursday, May 10, 2007

Here's a Crazy One For Ya

So I went to the dentist today. Brian and I both had appointments to get our teet cleaned. But when I got back there, Gail, (the hygenist who has known me since my birth) asks me about my heart murmur. I said I don't know, I've just always been told by my mom that I have a heart murmur and everytime I get my blood pressure checked, no one can ever count my heartbeats because my heart beats weird or something. So she proceeds to explain to me that since it's in my record (one of those long lists that I just checked that I had been diagnosed with), their new policy is that I can't get my teeth cleaned until I get it officially checked out! Since bleeding may occur in my mouth and bacteria may be present, it "might" collect in my heart and cause problems later. (Which means they need to premedicate with antibiotics). Ugh! Now, I'm not worried about all this, but IT'S JUST ONE MORE THING! It means in order to get my teeth cleaned, I have to get this checked out by one, maybe two other doctors, make another appointment with the dentist, find childcare for Clayton, cancel Clayton's therapies, etc. The good thing about Brian and me going together is that we can take turns sitting with Clayton while the other one is getting worked on. This is why I never take time to make appointments for myself!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's crazy. Can't the dentist just prescribe a course of antibiotics before your visit? But the bad thing is, ??? what is at least two courses of antibiotics every year going to do to you? That's definitely crazy!

Kelli said...

My dh has this...now the dentist just calls our GP and she calls into CVS for an antibiotic...but I know when he had had them start stuff that was a big issue. I'm sorry.

Oscar T. Grouch said...

I have the same thing with my murmor, I had to have the EEG done on it to prove my heart was okay, and when I was pregnant no dental work at all due to the chances of it causing issues.

Kristin K Stock said...

WOW that is amazing. I never heard of that, but I can see why this would be causing you some stress..

Noel said...

You know my husband has that...but the last time he went they were like "oh well, you'll be ok" and just cleaned him anyway. Scary! He told me his murmur wasn't "bad" enough...is that reality??

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Its probably a good idea to get it checked out anyway...hopefully everythign is okay now!

Jennifer Sizemore said...

Wow - I wonder what happened that made them get to that ruling. I guess you are now telling us not to kiss you because you couldn't get them cleaned?

Leslie said...

just browsing the blogs and wishing everyone a Happy Mother's Day today!...hope you had a fabulous day Ashley!

Paula... said...

WOW I've never heard of all of this before - it seems a bit over the top really doesn't it. But in the end I guess they're just trying to do what is best for everyone :-P