Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day

Okay, so it happened sooner than even I thought! Dr. Craig must have been waiting by the fax machine Friday because he had the prescription sent back to the school by that afternoon. Normally I love that he is so fast with prescriptions, but this time, NOT SO MUCH!
At any rate, we all three set out for school this morning and Clayton suddenly got cold feet. Brian and I were really talking it up and every few seconds the whole drive there he would say NO. NO POOL (school). NO. NO, he says . . . that did not make it easy to leave him there! He DID NOT want his picture taken. He seemed pretty overwhelmed by all the activity going on around him. After I talked the teachers' and nurse's ears off we finally made our departure. I had to pry Brian away from him (he's worse than I am I think!). We left him playing in the floor with another little boy--he didn't cry or seem to notice us leaving, definitely a good sign he'll be okay.
With bleeding in the brain you never know what you're going to get. And one doctor had us thinking Clayton would be a vegetable his whole life--basically bedridden. And while Clayton isn't running and jumping like most five year olds, he is leagues away from bedridden! I AM SO PROUD OF HIM!!!!!! He has come so far and overcome so many obstacles! Yes, I'm sad that my baby is growing up, but PRAISE THE LORD he's able to reach these milestones!!
***ETA: While I was typing this blog post, Hannah (Clayton's PT) called me with Clayton--she had gone to check on him and they were calling to tell me he was having a "big day" at school. Gotta love those therapists--they know I need just about as much therapy as him!!!

10 comments:

Stacy said...

OMG Ashley this is a huge thing! YAY for Clayton!!!

Cassandra said...

Congrats on his Big Day!! We expect a post-first day update to this entry, you know!!! I want to hear how his first day was!

Lee-Ellen said...

I know you are so proud of him Ashley! He will have a great time at school and he'll learn so much! Can't wait to hear how his first day went!!

Nic said...

WAY TO GO CLAYTON!! Your such a big boy! We are so proud of you. Ashley, I will be praying for you! :)

Mrs Pretzel said...

SO neat that his therapist called you!! Clayton is such an awesome testament!!

Kelli said...

oh yay Ash that'a such great news! :)

Michelle said...

Congrats on Claytons big day!its great when you have great therapist to call you to help ease your mind!

Patti H said...

Hey I posted here this morning? ANyway I want to send you a big hug Ashley! Clayton is so going to love preschool. I am with Cassandra I so wanna hear what he thought. I wonder how Brian is too!

Cheri Pryor said...

How fantastic!! It IS very bitter-sweet, isn't it? Big hugs for you guys! Such and exiting time. GO CLAYTON!!

Becky said...

How exciting!!