Tuesday, February 02, 2010

T-O-N

A couple of weeks ago, we finished up the letters of Clayton's name in our Letter of the Week program. We've been busy and I wanted to share what we did for those of you who use these resources. For the letter T:


On the bookshelf:
My Truck is Stuck
Big Truck, Little Truck
Tiger Can't Sleep
Tiger Trouble!
I'm Mighty! (book about a tugboat)

Song of the Week: I'm a Little Teapot


Our math lesson for the letter T was about triangles. I used flashcards for this and I made triangles with play-doh. I've also started using Starfall as a supplement to our lessons. Again, a lot of repetition, but Clayton asks for it everyday when we are finished reading our books. He wants to do something on the computer and these quick lessons from Starfall get his attention.

Next on to the letter O. I am so happy to report that by the end of the week Clayton knew that an octopus has eight legs. We also worked on opposites as an extra lesson. I basically just said them out loud each day and Clayton caught on--I wish I had taken the time to get some flashcards with pictures though.


On the bookshelf:
Oliver's Milkshake
The Ox-Cart Man
And to wrap things up, the letter N. Clayton absolutely loved The Napping House by Audrey Wood and I'm thinking we'll need to invest in our own copy of the book.


On the bookshelf:
The Napping House
Too Much Noise
The Best Nest
Noah's Ark

Song of the week: Penny, Nickel, Dime, Quarter by Ron Brown


To help with the writing, we are using a LeapFrog Scribble & Write. Again, Clayton is a lot more cooperative with writing as long as it's NOT ON PAPER! He did these last two N's with minimal assistance from me (just steadying his wrist). And then he got rebellious there at the bottom--he can only do it so many times and then he is DONE!
For math, we discussed coins (NICKEL) again . . . he can sing the song to me, but he can't quite make the connection to labeling the different coins and their value quite yet. We'll get there, though!

No comments: